Rogers, Brown & Company's iron manufacturing interests included a plant of two blast furnaces located at South Chicago, Illinois, -- a corporation known as The Iroquois Iron Company, in which Mr. J. J. Albright, Edmund Hayes, and Stephen M. Clement, citizens of Buffalo, had been interested for several years, though they had never seen the property.
Mr. William A. Rogers, vice-president of the Chicago company, accordingly invited these stockholders to accompany him on one of his periodical visits. Mr. Frank H. Goodyear, hearing of the proposed trip, tendered the use of his private car for the occasion, which being accepted, an invitation was extended to Mr. Goodyear and Charles. W. Goodyear to join the party. Mr. F. H. Goodyear accepted, and was so impressed with the capacity of such a plant to produce tonnage for a railroad, that he wished one established on the line of the Buffalo & Susquehanna Railroad
The result of negotiations opened by Mr. Goodyear was that Mr. Rogers and the Goodyear brothers joined forces to create the institution, which, out of compliment to his associates, Mr. Rogers called the Buffalo and Susquehanna Iron Company.
The assets of this company would later be purchased by Rogers-Brown.
This certificate also has about 25 coupons attached at the top margin.
Close Up of Vignette:
General and Refunding Mortgage Gold Bond, issued in the 1920’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
15” (h) x 10” (w) State: IL-Illinois
| NY-New York Subject Matter: Iron Companies Vignette Topic(s): Allegorical Featured
| Coupons Featured Condition:
Horizontal fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.