Detroit Steel Corporation

Detroit Steel Corporation
Item# 1748
$25.00

Detroit Steel was founded by Anthony Bodde, and was incorporated in Michigan in 1923. The company was later acquired by Cleveland Cliffs, who immediately sold the Detroit Steel assets to Cyclops Corporation.

One of the company’s primary plants was located in Portsmouth, Ohio and was served by two railroads. The Norfolk and Western supplied its coke plant with coal, but its double main line went around the back of the plant to its Portsmouth shops. The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad ran a small single-track line off of the main (Washington-St. Louis Route) through Jackson and Scioto Counties to supply the plant with iron ore. Some coal and ore were delivered by barge from the Ohio River. The plant was one of the last major steel plants in the United States to build large open hearths, which eventually led to it's downfall. It had two blast furnaces, a coke plant and open hearths. It once had a cold and hot strip mill, nail mill, fence plant, and billet mill. During World War II it was one of the largest plants in the U.S. to produce bomb casings. Before its closing, its large blast furnace produced merchant pig iron.




Close Up of Vignette:




Certificate: Common Stock, issued in the 1960’s

Printer: Columbian Bank Note Company

Dimensions: 8” (h) x 12” (w)

State: MI-Michigan

Subject Matter: Metals and Related | Steel Companies

Vignette Topic(s): Male Subject | Industrial Scene

Condition: Vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.