In 1913 Southern Illinois Light & Power Company (SIL&P;) was formed to consolidate the utility companies serving a few small communities east of St. Louis. By 1919 SIL&P; had added more than a dozen communities to its service area when it was acquired by North American Light & Power Company, which had been formed four years earlier. In 1923 North American Light & Power acquired Illinois Traction and then consolidated it with SIL&P;, to form Illinois Power & Light Corporation (IP&L;). IP&L; corporate offices were established in Chicago and William B. McKinley was named chairman of the board. Clement Studebaker Jr. was named president and H.L. Hanley was elected vice-president and general attorney.
At the time of IP&L;'s incorporation, North American Light & Power was part of two larger holding company structures, the Insull group and the North American group, which each owned a 50 percent stake in North American Light & Power Company and represented the third and fourth largest utility holding structures in the United States at the time.
In 1934, North American Power & Light was folded into the North American Company under the NAC name.
Preferred Stock, issued in the 1930’s
Printed by the American Bank Note Company
7” (h) x 11” (w)
This certificate has vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body and edge faults and toning from age.