Seatrain utilized large cranes to load specially-designed ships with railroad cars for transshipment to Cuba and Texas. Seatrain started its New Jersey presence in 1941 with a pier on the Hoboken Manufacturer's, adjacent to the engine facility. After World War II, Seatrain moved operations to Edgewater, on the Susquehanna. However, Seatrain kept a presence in Hoboken until its bankruptcy in 1979. Towards the end of its life, Seatrain shifted from railroad equipment transport to containerized transport, a technique that is well-known today. This relegated its specially-designed ships to retirement.
Capital Stock, issued in the 1970’s
Printed by the Security-Columbian Bank Note Company
8” (h) x 12” (w)
This certificate has vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.