Less than two weeks after the great stock-market crash, National Steel Corporation was formed by the merger of three companies (Weirton Steel, Michigan Steel and MA Hanna Steel). Weirton Steel received 50% of National stock and Ernest T. Weir became Chairman and chief executive. Headquarters were located in Pittsburgh, Weir's hometown. The other parent companies, Michigan Steel and M. A. Hanna, got 25% each of National.
In 2003, the United States Steel Corporation
purchased a great number of the assets of the National Steel Corporation which had filed for bankruptcy in 2002. These assets included Great Lakes Steel, in Ecorse and River Rouge, Michigan; Granite City Steel
in Granite City, Illinois; the Midwest finishing facility in Portage, Indiana; ProCoil Corporation in Canton, Michigan; National Steel Pellet Company in Keewatin, Minnesota; and various other subsidiaries and joint-venture interests, including a 50 percent equity interest in Double G Coatings, in Jackson, Mississippi. Certificate:
First Mortgage Bond, issued in the 1950’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
15 1/4” (h) x 10 1/2” (w)State: MI-Michigan
| OH-Ohio Subject Matter: Steel Companies Vignette Topic(s): Eagle Featured
| Male Subject Condition:
Horizontal fold lines, punch hole cancels in signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.