The Calumet mine was discovered in the month of October 1865. One year later the Hecla was organized and its stock of twenty thousand shares sold at five dollars each to the holders of the Calumet stock. In May 1871 the two companies were consolidated under the Calumet & Hecla name. Tributary to the parishes of Calumet are the locations of Osceola, Tamarack, Centennial, Wolverine, Allouez, and many other mines in the close neighborhood. The word "calumet" is a Native American name for the clay stone bowl of the peace pipe.
Common Stock, issued in the 1960’s
Printed by the American Bank Note Company
8” (h) x 12” (w)
This certificate has vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.