Pictured on this certificate is Philadelphia’s famed Strawberry Mansion. Strawberry Mansion acquired its name in the mid-nineteenth century when it was a dairy farm serving strawberries and cream. In earlier days it was the property of Philadelphia judges.
In 1783 the Quaker Judge William Lewis purchased this wooded land near the falls of the Schuylkill River. Remodeling an earlier structure, he completed the central portion of this house about 1790 in the popular Federal style. He named the house "Summerville."
Judge Joseph Hemphill bought 'Summerville' in the 1820's. He added the flamboyant Greek revival wings to the house and entertained John C. Calhoun of South Carolina, the French Marquis de Lafayette and Daniel Webster of Massachusetts.
His son Coleman built a race track on the property, raised Dalmatian dogs and grew strawberries from roots he imported from Chile.
Strawberry Mansion became City property in 1868 and is the largest house in Fairmount Park. It is now operated by the Committee of 1926 and is furnished with a mixture of Federal, Regency, and Empire styles popular during the mansion's varied ownership. The attic is filled with antique toys. The collection of Tucker porcelain in the library, one of the first true porcelains made in America, was a product of the partnership of Tucker and Hemphill in Philadelphia.
Capital Stock, issued in the early 1900’sPrinter: Geo. S. Harris & Sons Lith., Philadelphia Dimensions:
8 1/4” (h) x 12 1/2” (w)State: PA-Pennsylvania Subject Matter: Trolley and Rapid Transit
| Trolley Companies-Pennsylvania
| Trolley Companies-Philadelphia Vignette Topic(s): Horse Drawn Trolley Featured
| Stately Buildings
| Pennsylvania State Seal
| Multiple Scenes Condition:
Vertical fold lines, punch hole and stamp cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.