In 1911, Joseph O.Eaton and Viggo V. Torbensen formed the Torbensen Gear and Axle Company - later to become Eaton Corporation. They built all of seven truck axles – by hand – in that first year. By 1917, they were the world’s largest builders of rear axles for trucks in the world.
The Fuller Manufacturing Company traces its beginnings to the Michigan Automobile Company, founded in Kalamazoo, Michigan by Frank and Charlie Fuller in 1902. By 1923, Fuller and Sons Manufacturing Company was making only transmissions for the rapidly growing commercial truck industry. In the early 1950’s the Fuller Roadranger transmission revolutionized the trucking industry, and provided Fuller with market leadership that the product line continues to enjoy today.
Many commercial trucks of the 1920s, 30’s and 40’s and 50’s came equipped with Fuller transmissions and Eaton axles. So many, in fact, that Eaton Corporation saw the opportunity for increased synergy by acquiring Fuller, and did so in 1958. The marriage of industry-leading transmissions and axles was immediately successful, and continues today – beyond the divestiture of Eaton’s axle and brake business to Dana Corporation.
In late 1997, Eaton Corporation and Dana Corporation agreed on an historic deal: Eaton would sell its axle and brake business to Dana, and Dana would sell its clutch business to Eaton. Then, the two former competitors came together in a marketing agreement whereby a complete commercial vehicle drivetrain of components produced by both companies would be marketed by Eaton’s sales and marketing force – providing truck makers and fleets around the world with a complete drivetrain system – The Roadranger System.
Debenture Bond, issued in the 1970’s
Printed by the American Bank Note Company
8” (h) x 12” (w)
This certificate has vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body and some toning and edge faults from age.