The initial route, the 5.5 mile Cleveland Ave. line was converted to trolley coach operation on December 3, 1933 as the rails on the streetcar line were worn out and in need of replacement. As it was cheaper to convert to trolley coaches than replace the rails and Dayton was successful in it's conversion, Columbus made the switch.
Initially, service was provided by twenty 30 passenger Brill
T30 coaches. These small coaches made the round trip of the Cleveland Ave line in 56 minutes as opposed to the 70 minutes for the streetcar. The speed increase as well as the uniqueness of the trolley coaches proved successful in attracting new riders as well as increasing revenue for the Columbus Railway, Power & Light Company (CRP&L;), the transit operator at the time.
The second route converted was the Sullivant Avenue line on May 5, 1935. The CRP&L; purchased eighteen 40 passenger St. Louis Car Company
trolley coaches for this conversion. Also at the same time, the Cleveland Ave. line was through-routed with the Sullivant Avenue line providing for a 10.23 mile crosstown style route.
In 1937, the CRP&L; became the Columbus & Southern Ohio Electric Company
(C&SOEC;). Among the first things that happened under the new company was a decision to convert the remainder of the streetcar system to trolley coaches. The first line converted under the C&SOEC; was the Oak Street line on October 16, 1938 with the Summit-Indianola line following on November 13, 1938. The conversion was implemented with forty 44 passenger Brill 44SMT's which arrived just prior to the opening of the Oak Street line.
The next conversion occurred on April 14, 1940 with the Broad-Mt. Vernon line. Twenty-five additional Brill 44SMT's were purchased for this conversion. At this point, the total route mileage for the trolley coach system was 26.25 miles. By this point, WWII was underway and further conversions had to be put on hold.
It is interesting to note that the Columbus trolley coach system was one of the few systems in the nation to have a grand union in it's overhead. This permitted easier operations as the trolley coaches could go straight, left or right regardless of the direction of travel when it came to the intersection. Columbus also was one of the few systems to have a trolley coach wye at the end of the line instead of a loop to turn around in.
Close Up of Vignette:
Common Stock, issued in the 1970’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
7 1/4” (h) x 11 3/4” (w) State: OH-Ohio Subject Matter: Utility Companies
| Electric Companies Vignette Topic(s): Allegorical Featured
| Allegorical Mercury
| Skyline Scene Condition:
Vertical fold lines, and punch hole and stamp cancels in the signature areas and body.