In the 1920’s, Pennsylvania Power & Light established a formal marketing presence and helped to pioneer the use of electric appliances and equipment. Also, the Pennsylvania-New Jersey Interconnection, the world’s first fully integrated power pool, was formed in 1928. The pool linked Pennsylvania Power & Light, Philadelphia Electric Co., and Public Service Electric & Gas Company together with a ring of 220,000-volt transmission lines.
In July 1928, construction was completed on “The Tower”, Pennsylvania Power & Light’s general headquarters building at the corner of Ninth and Hamilton streets in Allentown. Still an Allentown landmark, the 23-story skyscraper, at the time, was the tallest building between New York City and Pittsburgh. Built at a cost of $3.2 million, it became the prototype for art deco architecture in New York City. The 1930 edition of The Encyclopedia Britannica featured the building because of its unique construction and design.
Between 1928 and 1938, Pennsylvania Power & Light achieved a major expansion of its system by acquiring 62 companies, as well as purchasing stock in an additional 12 companies, between 1928 and 1930. The companies whose stock was acquired were integrated into the PP&L; system by 1938.
Reddy Kilowatt served as a symbol for Pennsylvania Power & Light from 1934 to 1981.
In the 1950’s, Pennsylvania Power & Light purchased Pennsylvania Water & Power Company and the Scranton Electric Company. The company also announced its intention to build an atomic-energy power plant. It joined with Westinghouse to conduct a research and development program of a homogeneous reactor. The program failed; however, PP&L; established an atomic power group in the Engineering Department.
At the start of the decade, Pennsylvania Power & Light announced plans to build its first nuclear power plant. By the time construction reached its peak in the late 1970s, more than 2,500 construction workers were employed at the Berwick site. This was the largest construction job in the company's history. Part of the facility would include a separate simulator building to help plant operators train for potential emergencies. Because of the licensing and permitting process, as well as public scrutiny and additional government oversight after the Three Mile Island accident, it would be 13 years before Unit One at Susquehanna began commercial operation.
In 1994, Pennsylvania Power & Light was one of 12 test sites chosen nationally to partner with General Motors to promote electric vehicles.
In 1997, the company became PP&L;, Inc. Certificate:
Preferred Stock, issued in the 1950’s and 1960’sPrinter: Security-Columbian Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8” (h) x 12” (w) State: PA-Pennsylvania Subject Matter: Utility Companies
| Electric Companies Vignette Topic(s): Allegorical Featured
| Winged Wheel or Gear Condition:
Vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in signature areas and body.