Stock Certificate, issued/canceled1960'sSecurity-Columbian Bank Note CompanyThe item shown is representative of the one you will receive
The name and ownership have changed several times, but to longtime Oshkosh residents it’s still “Wisconsin Axle.”
The company’s roots date to 1919 when Willard F. Rockwell, a young engineer, left a job at Torbensen Axle Co., because the company rejected Rockwell’s ideas for improving their axles. That year, Rockwell arrived in Oshkosh, where he bought and reorganized Hays Machinery Co., a bankrupt woodworking machinery plant.
Rockwell renamed the company the Wisconsin Parts Co., and began production of the “double reduction” axles that had failed to catch on at Torbensen. The design became an industry standard and served as the base for what, in time, became one of the largest corporations in the United States.
After an unsuccessful attempt by Torbensen to copy the design in the late 1920s, the company was purchased by Timkin-Detroit Axle and renamed Wisconsin Axle Co. The name, in some circles, became as recognizably Oshkosh as OshKosh B’Gosh.
Rockwell became president of Timken-Detroit four years later and in 1936 was asked to take over a failing automotive parts firm — Standard Steel Spring. The move started several decades of diversification through new product development and acquisition.
In 1953, Rockwell became chairman of a merged company that was renamed Rockwell Spring and Axle Co
. Five years later the company was again operating under a new name: Rockwell Standard
In 1967, a merger with North American Rockwell
created what became Rockwell International.WI-Wisconsin Automotive and Related Auto Parts and Service Manufacturing and Production Under $10 Under $5 Male Subject