The earliest foundations of Jones and Laughlin Steel Company appeared in 1853 and 1859 when two iron-producing enterprises began operations several miles south of Pittsburgh along the Monongahela River. Over time, the two enterprises united under one name and began the production of steel in 1886. Over the ensuing 60 years, the company expanded its facilities and its operations along both sides of the Monongahela river and along the Ohio river. The Hot Metal Bridge across the Monongahela river was built to connect the works on one side of the river with the works on the other side of the river. In 1905, a new plant was begun at Aliquippa, Pennsylvania.
J & L Steel (known to its employees as simply "J & L") provided the most able competition to the Carnegie Steel Company in the vicinity of Pittsburgh. Ling-Temco-Vought, Inc. of Texas offered to purchase 63 percent of J & L Steel in 1968.
Subordinated Debenture Bond, issued in the 1970’s
Printed by the American Bank Note Company
8” (h) x 12” (w)
This certificate has vertical fold lines, punch hole and stamp cancels in the signature areas and body, and some toning and edge faults from age.