Attracted by the facilities provided by the Lake Erie shoreline, the Lackawanna Iron and Steel Company decided to locate in West Seneca. Therefore in April 1899, John J. Albright purchased all of the land along the shore of Lake Erie on behalf of the newly formed Lackawanna Steel Company
. The authorized capital of this new venture was $60,000,000 of which one third was issued, share for share, for the stock of an old Scranton Company, the Lackawanna Iron and Steel Company. Actual construction of the steel plant began on July 14, 1900. By the spring of 1901, several large buildings were completed and the withdrawal from Scranton had begun. Wherever possible both men and machines were removed from Scranton to the new plant site at Stony Point. Many of these people were of Irish extraction. This project out-stripped all other efforts in the steel industry, becoming the greatest individual steel plant in the world and having incorporated in it many ideas new to the industry. It prospered as a leading manufacturer of rails and sheet piling. The first two blast furnaces were blown in February, 1903 and the rail mill started operations in October of the same year. Each year saw further expansion with more products available. In 1922 the plant was acquired by the Bethlehem Steel Company
, which at once began an extensive expansion program. The Kalman Steel Company was purchased in 1931 and the Seneca Iron and Steel Company in 1932. The plant's products include bars, sheets, rail, tie plates, structural shapes, sheet pilings, etc. The huge plant fabricating works and non-plant land of the company cover over 1,500 acres of ground and the plant has its own ship canal, locks, bridges and storage space for coal, limestone and coke. Certificate:
Common Stock, issued in the 1920’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8” (h) x 11 1/2” (w) State: PA-Pennsylvania
| NY-New York Subject Matter: Steel Companies Vignette Topic(s): Allegorical Featured Condition:
Vertical fold lines, punch hole and stamp cancels in signature areas and body, a partial receipt adhered at the left side border, and some toning from age.