Becton, Dickinson and Company (Specimen)

Becton, Dickinson and Company (Specimen)
Item# 4060becton
$25.00

Becton Dickinson was founded in 1897 by Maxwell W. Becton and Fairleigh S. Dickinson, two American businessmen who met on a sales trip. The same year the company made its first sale, a Luer-all-glass syringe that sold for $2.50. In 1898 BD acquired its first patent for a medical product. In 1904 BD acquired the Philadelphia Surgical Company. This very first acquisition and other early acquisitions significantly expanded the company’s manufacturing ability and product offering. Two years later BD incorporated in the State of New Jersey and built a manufacturing facility in East Rutherford, the first in the U.S. created specifically for the production of thermometers, hypodermic needles, and syringes. In 1924 BD manufactured its first syringe designed specifically for insulin injection. One year later BD introduced the BD Yale Luer-Lok Syringe, designed and patented by Fairleigh S. Dickinson, Sr. It provided a simple and secure method of attaching and removing the needle to and from the syringe. Today, luer lock connectors are the standard for syringes in the U.S. In 1947 Joseph Kleiner developed the Evacutainer — a device used to draw blood by vacuum through a needle into a test tube. This product eventually evolved to become the BD Vacutainer Blood Collection system.

In 1948 BD faced new leadership as Fairleigh S. Dickinson, Jr. and Henry P. Becton, sons of the founders, took over the company. Their 24-year tenure was a time of rapid development for BD. It was also a time of significant product innovation. In 1950 BD's first sterile disposable product, a blood collection set, was developed and sold to the American Red Cross. In 1954 BD introduced the first completely disposable syringe made of glass: BD Hypak. This innovative product was used in a large-scale field test of the polio vaccine developed by Dr. Jonas Salk. One year later, BD entered the microbiology field through the acquisition of the Baltimore Biological Laboratory. In 1961 the company introduced its disposable BD Plastipak syringe. Under the new leadership the company also went public (1962) and was appeared for the first time in the Fortune 500 list (1970).




Close Up of Vignette:




Certificate: Common Stock, specimen, 1970’s

Printer: Security-Columbian Bank Note Company

Dimensions: 8” (h) x 12” (w)

State: NJ-New Jersey

Subject Matter: Medical and Related | Specimen Pieces

Vignette Topic(s): Male Subject | Hemispheres Featured

Condition: No fold lines, punch hole cancels in signature areas and body, very crisp.





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.