In the late 1860’s, Alexander Chatham and Thomas L. Gwyn established a textile mill in Elkin, North Carolina. In 1890, a railroad line was completed in Elkin, and Chatham and Gwyn enlarged their company, Elkin Mills. Alexander Chatham later retired from the company and Gwyn sold his interest to Chatham's son, Hugh Gwyn Chatham. By 1894 the company was renamed the Chatham Manufacturing Company with Hugh Gwyn Chatham as its president.
A second factory was built in Winston-Salem, North Carolina in 1907. During the first part of the century the primary focus of company sales were blankets, but by the 1930s the company started producing automotive upholstery. By the 1980s the company had plants located in Eden and Charlotte, along with the Elkin plant.
In 1988, family members and senior management of the company were outbid by the Danish textile firm, Northern Feather. The purchase of the company by Northern Feather ended the 100 year reign the family had over the company. Northern Feather went bankrupt soon after and the company and was sold to Columbia, South Carolina based CMI Industries, in 1992. Eight years later in 2000, Interface, Inc. of Atlanta, Georgia purchased the company.
Preferred Stock, specimen, late 1900’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8” (h) x 12” (w)State: NC-North Carolina Subject Matter: Textiles and Related
| Specimen Pieces Vignette Topic(s): Eagle Featured Condition:
No fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, some toning and edge faults from age.