Bank of Charleston

Bank of Charleston
Item# 4062
$45.00



In 1836, the newly chartered Bank of Charleston purchased the current South Carolina National Bank of Charleston building shortly after the Second Bank failed following the withdrawal of all government deposits by President Andrew Jackson. The building, remains one of the most important buildings on Broad Street, South Carolina's oldest commercial street. It has been in continuous use as a bank since it was constructed in 1817. By 1848 the Bank of Charleston became a regional power with affiliates in Georgia, Alabama, Florida, and Louisiana. The building was extended to the north in 1856 and the Board of Director's Room added. It is an elaborate room with coved ceiling, pilasters with Corinthian capitals, and marbleized details (wood painted to simulate tan and black marble). The bank managed to survive financially during the Civil War and Reconstruction, despite a $1.5 million loan to the Confederacy, and by 1887 had recovered sufficiently to become a Federal Depository. In 1926 the Bank of Charleston merged with local banks in Greenville and Columbia to form the South Carolina National Bank, which in turn was absorbed by Wachovia in the mid-1990s.


Certificate: Capital Stock, issued in the 1870s

Printer: Not indicated

Dimensions: 6 3/4 (h) x 9 1/2 (w)

State: SC-South Carolina

Subject Matter: Banks and Credit Unions | Dated 1870s | Revenue Stamp Featured

Vignette Topic(s): Cotton Boll and Harvesting | Government Seal Featured | State Seal Featured | South Carolina State Seal | Multiple Scenes

Condition: Vertical fold lines, cut cancels in the signature areas and body, cropped tight to left side border and some toning and edge faults from age.





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.