Stock Certificate, specimenLate 1900'sAmerican Bank Note CompanyThe item shown is representative of the one you will receive
Founded by George Angle in 1955, Furon was initially named The Fluorocarbon Company. The company began by producing Dupont's Teflon--or polytetrafluoroethylene--a product used primarily as a nonstick coating for kitchen utensils. Teflon is capable of being molded, machined, and fabricated into many shapes and components, including miniature solenoid valve bodies. The Fluorocarbon Company developed Teflon spring-energized seals in order to handle extreme temperatures and strong forces for commercial aircraft use. The coating could withstand expansion, contraction, flexure, and angular movement. After thorough testing, the material received military approval for its aircraft applications. The Fluorocarbon Company continued to develop and produce a wide variety of resins made of exclusive compounds. The company's production process began with the purchase of standard polymer resins from a variety of chemical companies. At Fluorocarbon, engineers added to or modified the resins to impart the special properties suitable for specific application needs. Sometimes such additives as nylon were added to impart extra strength, or graphite for lubrication.
In 1988 Fluorocarbon acquired all of the outstanding common stock of Reynolds & Taylor, Inc., a fabricator of high performance composite materials for the aerospace, aviation, and defense industries. For a space shuttle experiment Fluorocarbon introduced a special flawless, thin-walled gas-permeable membrane. Specifications required that the membrane be translucent and perfected to assure uniform gas and light diffusion. Other thermoplastic developments included fiber optic cables and pressure-formed instrumentation packaging. Also in 1988, Fluorocarbon acquired the fixed assets and inventory of Parker Hannifin's gasket division, located in Sulfur, Louisiana. In addition, it purchased Dixon Industries Corporation from CHR Industries, Inc. and Bunnell Plastics Inc. from the Bundy Corporation, which was a wholly owned subsidiary of the Delaware-based TI United States, LTD.
In 1989 The Fluorocarbon Company responded to negative publicity arising from new information concerning the environmental hazards involved in the release of fluorocarbons into the atmosphere. As a diversionary tactic, it adopted Furon Company as its new name. Furon established its World Class Performance program in order to accomplish an objective of becoming number one or two in the market niches it served. The program emphasized a new formalized cost reduction program and instituted a performance measuring system, called Economic Value Added, or EVA. By 1990, following Management's primary emphasis on increased materials development, Furon's Advanced Polymers Division developed Meldin 2000, a versatile, high-temperature material, first introduced at the National Design Engineering Show. The material offered long wear, low friction, and superior compression strength properties. The resulting components produced ranged from hydraulic hoses to wire and cable products. For the heating, ventilation, air conditioning, and power generation industries, Furon offered Dekoron tubing, wire, and cable, which were mainstays in chemical processing applications. For other markets such as agriculture, trucking, construction equipment, paint equipment, and beverage dispensing, Furon developed the special family of products labeled Synflex.
In 1994 the company purchased Custom Coating and Laminating in Worcester, Massachusetts, a company that manufactured release films and tapes. In March 1995, Furon switched from the NASDAQ to the New York Stock Exchange due to the perception that the company's access to capital markets would be enhanced by the NYSE in the long-term.CA-California Aviation and Aerospace Manufacturing and Production Specimen Pieces Allegorical Featured Allegorical Angel Hemispheres Featured