Sbarro was founded by Gennaro and Carmela Sbarro (who are pictured on this piece). The couple and their three sons, Joseph, Mario and Anthony, immigrated to America from Naples, Italy in 1956 with help from the Padovani family, who took them in. They gave Gennaro employment in their deli. The same year, the Sbarro family opened their first Salumeria (an Italian grocery store) at 1701 65th Street and 17th Avenue in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York, which became popular for its fresh food and genuine Italian fare. Their Sbarro Italian Delicatessen in Brooklyn, was well received by the local community and was the first of a successful chain.
The success of the Sbarro Salumeria led to the opening of additional locations throughout the New York City area. In 1967, Sbarro opened its first mall-based restaurant in Brooklyn's Kings Plaza Shopping Center, marking the beginning of the modern Sbarro concept: Italian food in an open kitchen that allowed for fast self-service. One of their busiest outlets was located in the World Trade Center mall.
Over the last 50 years, the Kings Plaza business model has expanded throughout the U.S. and over 45 countries around the world. In early 2007, Sbarro was acquired by MidOcean Partners, a private equity firm with offices in New York and London. In 2008, Sbarro was rated the #1 Quick Service Restaurant in the Italian segment by Entrepreneur magazine. It has held this title for five out of the past six years.
Sbarro restaurants are located in shopping malls, airports, service areas, cinemas and college campuses. Sbarro has 1,064 locations in 43 countries.Close Up of Vignette
Common Stock, specimen, late 1900’sPrinter: American Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8” (h) x 12” (w)State: NY-New York Subject Matter: Famous Companies
| Restaurants and Fast Food
| Specimen Pieces Vignette Topic(s): Female Subject
| Male Subject Condition:
No fold lines, punch hole cancels in signature areas and body, very crisp.