Pabst Brewing Company (Signed by both Frederick & Gustave Pabst)

Pabst Brewing Company (Signed by both Frederick & Gustave Pabst)
Item# 4328

Pabst’s history dates back to 1844, when Best and Company was founded by Jacob Best, Sr. and his four sons, Jacob, Jr. Charles, Phillip and Lorenz. Jacob Best, Jr. and his brother Charles had come to Milwaukee from Mettenheim, Germany in 1842. The two initially operated a vinegar factory, but returned to Mettenheim two years later. In late 1844, they returned to Milwaukee with the rest of the family. In the same year they purchased two lots on Chestnut Street, now West Juneau Avenue, establishing the family brewery.

In 1859, Phillip took control of the brewery and the company was renamed the Phillip Best Brewing Company. The admission of Phillip’s two sons-in-law as equal partners in the 1860s was ultimately to have the greatest impact on the future direction of the brewery. Captain Frederick Pabst, a lake boat captain, married Phillip’s daughter, Maria, in 1862 and joined the company in 1864. Emil Schandein married Phillip’s other daughter, Elizabeth, and joined the company in 1866, the same year that Phillip retired from the company. A new partnership was formed with Pabst as president and Schandein as vice president.

In 1870 Herman Riedelschoefer died, and Phillip Best Brewing subsequently purchased his brewery, located in the Menomonee Valley. It was later renamed the South Side Brewery while the original Best brewery on Juneau was called the Empire Brewery. This purchase made it possible for the Phillip Best Brewing Company to become the largest brewery in the nation by 1874, a ranking the company maintained until 1946.

In the 1880s two major events occurred that were to reshape the direction of the company. In 1886 it was decided to discontinue all operations at the South Side Brewery to reduce production costs by eliminating the need for two brew masters and duplicate work crews. The Empire Brewery was significantly expanded to accommodate all of the operations. The second important event was the changing of the name from Phillip Best to the Pabst Brewing Company on March 18, 1889. Emil Schandein had died the previous year and the Captain used the name change as a way to further increase his control over the company. Captain Pabst died in 1904 at the height of his company's success.

This certificate is issued to and signed on the verso by Frederick Pabst and is also signed by Gustave Pabst as the company President.

Close Up of Vignette:

Gustave Pabst's Signature:

Frederick Pabst's Signature:

Certificate: Capital Stock, issued in the 1908

Printer: Milwaukee Litho Company

Dimensions: 10 1/2” (h) x 12” (w)

State: WI-Wisconsin

Subject Matter: Beer Makers | Autographed Pieces

Vignette Topic(s): Brewery or Distillery Featured

Condition: Vertical fold lines, punch hole cancels in the signature areas and body, partial receipt adhered at left side border, and some toning and edge faults from age. You will receive the exact certificate pictured.

All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.