Stock Certificate, issued/uncanceled1890'sNot indicatedThe item shown is representative of the piece you will receive
In 1845 John F. Starr, who had leased the iron foundry of Elias Kaighn, at the foot of Stevens Street, built the Camden Iron Works, on the north side of Bridge Avenue, above Third Street, for the manufacture of gas works machinery and steam pipes. He had previously been associated with his father, Moses Starr, and brother, Jesse W. Starr, in building iron steamboats - the "Conestoga," "Independence" and "Ida." He also, for a time, built steamboats in Hoboken, where he built the "John Stevens." In 1846, with Jesse W. Starr taking an interest in the works, another foundry and machine shop was started on Bridge Avenue, below Second Street. There, Jesse Starr erected a large three story brick building, long known as Starr’s Hall, and which was used as a hardware store. The firm then employed a hundred men, but orders exceeded their facilities, and in 1847 the ground was bought on Cooper’s Creek, beginning the extensive establishment known as the Camden Iron Works.
In 1888 the works were purchased by a stock company, in which R.D. Wood & Co., of Philadelphia, were largely interested (this certificate is signed by Walter Wood as the company President)
. The works had not been in operation for nearly two years previous to this purchase, but were successfully started again in the fall of 1883, after some needed improvements had been made. Early in 1884 the entire works were in full operation. The buildings in which the different branches of the business were carried on, covered an area of 20 acres, with an additional tract of 21 acres, used for storing material and manufactured products. The buildings included six large foundries for the manufacture of cast iron pipes, machinery for gas works, water works plants and other heavy machinery, one large machine shop, two boiler shops, carpenter and pattern shops, blacksmith shops, store houses, offices and stables. Five powerful steam engines supplied the motive power of the many and varied patterns of improved and automatic machinery used in the mechanical department of the works. Two large duplex pumping engines furnished the water supply for fire protection and general purposes. Coopers Creek, which was navigable some distance above the works, gave the company excellent facilities for water transportation, and several branch tracks of the Camden and Amboy Railroad entered the works at various points. The products of the Camden Iron Works acquired a great reputation for excellence of manufacture. They were shipped and supplied to all parts of the United States.NJ-New Jersey Iron Steel and Metals Iron Companies Industrial Scene Multiple Scenes