The Twin Coach Company was founded in Kent, in 1927, by brothers William B. and Frank R. Fageol. The brothers originally started their business in Oakland, California in 1916 and manufactured trucks for World War I use, as well as pleasure cars for domestic use. They brought the first model of their "Safety Coach" east in 1923, and settled in Kent in 1924 as the Fageol Motor Company. The company was sold to American Car and Foundry Company
of Dayton, Ohio, in 1925. During 1927, however, after the Fageols' development of the new form of public transportation called the "Twin Coach", the brothers re-established themselves in their original Kent location as the Twin Coach Company.
The Fageol Motors and Twin Coach companies were instrumental in the history of public transportation in the United States. The dual-motored "Twin Coach" was the first urban transit or streetcar-type motor coach designed and built by anyone. The Twin Coach Company ranked second in urban bus manufacturing for approximately twenty years, and it sold to major corporations across the country. It also broadened its scope to include the manufacture of airplane parts and machine engines, as well as a new house-to-house mail delivery truck called the "Pony express".
In 1924, The American Car and Foundry offered a substantial fee for the rights to build Fageols in the East. Fageol responded by expanding its Oakland facility and building a new factory in Kent, Ohio. The Agreement was never finalized, and Fageol filed bankruptcy in 1929. The Depression damaged the company further, and in 1932 Fageol went into receivership. The Waukesha Motor Company and the Central Bank of Oakland assumed control. Fageol grew over the next six years, but the end was inevitable. Sterling Motors acquired the company's assests in November 1938, and announced that production would cease at the end of the year. Fageol Truck and Coach Company was secure in their west coast market.
The 1930's saw the continued growth of long-haul trucking. Though sales were down, trucking was not as devastated by the Depression as many other businesses. New models and designs were continually introduced. Still, many companies fell into bankruptcy. One of these was the Fageol Motors Co. of Oakland, Calif., which for 17 years had produced rugged, heavy-duty trucks and luxury buses.
The Waukesha Motor Co. and the Central Bank of Oakland operated Fageol from 1932 until 1938. That year, they sold it to T.A. Peterman, a logger and plywood manufacturer from Tacoma, Wash. Peterman had been rebuilding surplus army trucks and modifying old logging trucks for use in his business. By 1938, his lumber operations had expanded beyond the capabilities of his fleet. So he purchased the Fageol assets in order to build custom chain drive logging trucks.Certificate:
Common Stock, issued in the 1920’sPrinter: Republic Bank Note Company Dimensions:
8 1/2” (h) x 11 1/2” (w)State: OH-Ohio Subject Matter: Bus and Trolley Makers
| Truck Makers Vignette Topic(s): Eagle Featured Condition:
Vertical fold lines, punch hole and pen cancels in signature areas and body, edge faults and toning from age.