Choctaw, Oklahoma & Gulf Railroad Company

View Inventory


The Choctaw, Oklahoma & Gulf Railroad was officially incorporated on August 24, 1894 by act of Congress, provided "that the purchasers of the rights of way, railroads, mines, coal lease-holds, estates, and other property, and the franchises of the Choctaw Coal and Railway Company at any sale made under or by virtue of any process or decree of any court having jurisdiction thereof, shall be, and are hereby, constituted a corporation and shall be vested with all the right, title, interest, property, property, possession, claim and demand in law and equity, of, in, and to such rights of way, railroads, mines, coal leasehold estates, and property of the said Choctaw Coal and Railway Company, and with all the rights, powers, immunities, privileges, and franchises which have been heretofore granted to or conferred upon said Company by any Act or Acts of Congress, or which it possesses by virtue of its charter under the laws of Minnesota."

The COG purchased the Choctaw Coal and Railway Company from George H. Earle, Jr., Sydney F. Tyler, Francis I. Gowen, George B. Kirkbride, and Nicholas Thouron, Trustees on October 3, 1894.

The first line was built from Oklahoma City to McAlester, Oklahoma, (120 miles) via Dickson, Choctaw, Harrah, McLoud, Sunnyside, Dale, Shawnee, Earlsboro, Tracy, Seminole, Lima, Wewoka, Holdenville, Bilby, Agua, Calvin, Hill Top, Stuart, Whites, Barnett (Haywood), and Dods by October 1, 1895.

Additional key dates in the company’s history include:

Built from El Reno to Weatherford, Oklahoma, (50 miles) via Fort Reno, Calumet, Geary, Bridgeport, McCool, and Hydro (1898).

Purchased Choctaw and Memphis Railroad Company for $1,621,500 (June 30, 1900).

Leased White and Black River Valley Railroad Company for 80 years (July 1, 1900).

Leased trackage rights between Benton and Biddle (Hot Springs Junction), Arkansas, from Little Rock and Hot Springs Western Railroad Company (1900).

Purchased the Tecumseh Railway Company for $12,000 (October 12, 1900).

Built from Shawnee to Tecumseh, Oklahoma, (8 miles) via Spudland.

Built from Weatherford to Elk City, Oklahoma, (46 miles) via Indianapolis, Clinton, Parkersburg, Foss, and Canute (1901).

Purchased White River, Lonoke and Western Railroad Company (September 14, 1901).

Purchased Western Oklahoma Railroad Company (May 1, 1902).

Purchased Choctaw Northern Railroad Company for $1,027,500 (May 3, 1902).

Through stock purchase, fell under the control of the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company (May 6, 1902).

Purchased Hot Springs Railroad Company (May 10,1902).

Relocated a 17-mile line between Haileyville and Wilburton, Oklahoma (1904).

Leased to Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company for 999 years (March 24, 1904).

Through 100% stock purchase controlled by Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railway Company (1912).

Abandoned 6-mile line between Lehigh and North Coalgate, Oklahoma (1923).

Abandoned 23-mile line between Watonga and Homestead (November 11, 1926).

Relocated 5-mile line in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma (1930).

Abandoned 33-mile line between Anthony, Kansas and Ingersoll, Oklahoma (1937).

Abandoned 84-mile line between Frisco Junction and Pittsburgh, Oklahoma (1940).

Consolidated into Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad Company (January 1, 1948).



We are currently offering the following Choctaw, Oklahoma & Gulf Railroad pieces:





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.