Connecticut Railway & Lighting Company

View Inventory

In Bridgeport, the Connecticut Railway & Lighting Company's car barn (at 55 Congress Street) was originally constructed in 1910 as the principal repair and storage facility for the company's Bridgeport division. During the World War II era it was converted to service the company’s local bus fleet. A prime example of early 20th-century streetcar maintenance facilities, the building is the only tangible remnant of Bridgeport’s early 20th-century public transit system, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The company itself was the brainchild of Alden March Young, who absorbed many of the Connecticut railway and lighting companies in an effort to build a viable regional operation. The CR&L; was originally named The Gas Supply Company, formed in 1895 to furnish gas to Southeastern Connecticut towns via the railway system. The name was changed to CR&L; on Jan 10, 1901.

There were many leases and transfers over the years. From steam railway, to an electric railway, transforming auto carrier cars to passenger cars (heated by pot-bellied stoves in the winter), additions of trolley lines and streetcars, and motorized buses. The height of company's operations was during World War II.

We are currently offering the following pieces from the Connecticut Railway & Lighting Company:

Connecticut Railway and Lighting Company
$15.00
3290
color: 





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.