Incorporated in the state of Pennsylvania, the Lykens Valley Railroad was built sixteen miles, from Bear Creek Gap to the Susquehanna, and was in operation in 1834, transporting the coal by horse-power over the flat strap-rail. The cars were carried across the Susquehanna on "arks", the coal dumped into chutes on the canal, loaded on the canal boats and transported to the various markets. This was the fourth railroad in the country and the first in Dauphin county, to transport anthracite coal. The first canal boat load of Lykens Valley coals, now so famous, was sent April 19, 1834, by Boat No. 76, forty-three tons, Captain C. Faunce, cosigned to Thomas Bobridge, Columbia, Pennsylvania. Eventually, the line fell under the control of the Pennsylvania Railroad.






All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.