This line was incorporated in 1862 as a consolidation of the Androscoggin and Kennebec and Penobscot and Kennebec railroads. The Maine Centralís system covered a total of 823 miles by 1900 (making it the third largest road in New England at the time; behind the New York, New Haven & Hartford and the Boston & Maine). The system operated in southern Maine, northern New Hampshire and Vermont with main lines from Portland via Lewiston and Waterville to Bangor, and branch lines north to Mattawamkeag and Vanceboro and south to Calais. Its 65 locomotives and over 4,300 freight cars primarily hauled paper products. The Boston & Maine had a large financial interest in the line, and actually shared the same president with the Maine Central – Lucius Tuttle (from 1890s through 1910). In 1911 and 1912, the Maine Central took over two 2-foot gauge lines – the Sandy River and Rangely Lake, and the Bridgeton and Saco River. These railroads were held until the early 1920s. The Maine Central was sold to the US Filter Corporation in 1980, which was absorbed by Ashland Oil shortly afterward. In 1981, Guilford Transportation Industries (which had also purchased the Boston and Maine and the Delaware and Hudson) entered the picture and bought the struggling line.
All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.