The Metropolitan Cross-Town Railway was chartered in 1889 and opened in 1891. The company was acquired in 1894 by the Metropolitan Street Railway. The line had 7 miles of track and operated on Delancey Street in New York.

The first step in the consolidation of the street railway companies of Manhattan began in 1892, when the Houston West Street & Pavonia Ferry Railroad Company began leasing various other street railway companies. In 1893, the Metropolitan Street Railway was incorporated, and acquired the Houston West Street & Pavonia Ferry Railroad Company and several other companies. And the Metropolitan Street Railway subsequently acquired or leased most of the other street railways in Manhattan. The Metropolitan Street Railway also assumed the leases which had been held by the Houston West Street & Pavonia Ferry Railroad Company. In the previous year, the Metropolitan Traction Company of New York was incorporated as a holding company for the Metropolitan Street Railway. But that holding company was dissolved in 1897.

In 1901, the Interurban Street Railway was incorporated, and in 1902 began leasing the Metropolitan Street Railway. In 1904, the Interurban Street Railway was renamed the New York City Railway. And in 1908, the Metropolitan Street Railway became independent again. In 1911, New York Railways was incorporated to acquire the Metropolitan Street Railway.






All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.