Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien Railway Company

View Inventory

The earliest ancestor of the Milwaukee Road was the Milwaukee and Waukesha Rail Road Company, established February11, 1847. This company changed its name to the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railroad Company on February l, 1850. The company was consolidated with the Madison and Prairie du Chien Rail Road Company (established in 1852) in May of 1853, retaining the Milwaukee & Mississippi name. At one point, the Milwaukee and Mississippi had in operation or under construction lines extending from Milwaukee to Prairie du Chien, Milwaukee to New Lisbon, and Racine to Beloit, among others. The system had about 620 miles of line by the end of 1857. The Milwaukee & Mississippi defaulted on its bonds in 1860, and was purchased by the bondholders who reorganized it as the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Railway Company on January 21, 1861. This company was sold to the Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company in 1867. The Milwaukee and St. Paul changed its name to the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway Company in 1874.


We are currently offering the following pieces from the Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien Railway Company:



All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.