Monongahela Power & Railway Company


View Inventory

The largest interurban in the state this company began operations as the Fairmont & Clarksburg Electric Railroad Company. The line was able to connect to the cities by 1908 on a 25-mile system. It was later renamed as the Monongahela Valley Traction Company and by 1913 had reached such areas as Weston, Wolf Summit, Wyatt, Fairview, and Mannington. The interurban provided both street services as well as main line running on a surprisingly well-built system that was even able to enter into some interchange agreements with the Baltimore & Ohio providing for a bit of carload freight revenue. In 1921 it was renamed as the Monongahela Power & Railway Company as the operation had expanded into the power business. Two years later in 1923 it came under West Penn control and was known as the subsidiary, Monongahela West Penn Public Service Company. West Penn operated interurbans in southern Pennsylvania, throughout West Virginia, and into eastern Ohio. As with the Kanawha Traction & Electric Company the Monongahela West Penn was sold to the City Lines of West Virginia around 1945, which slowly converted the entire system to bus operations by 1947.

We are currently offering the following pieces from the Monongahela Valley Traction Company:



All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.