St. Louis Merchants Bridge Company

View Inventory

The St. Louis Merchants Bridge Company was incorporated on May 11, 1896 in the state of Missouri. The company was organized in the interest of the Merchants Exchange of St. Louis to construct a bridge over the Mississippi to St. Louis at a point between the northern line of St. Clair county, Illinois and the mouth of the Missouri River.

In 1889, the company leased its property to the St. Louis Merchants Bridge Terminal Railway Company, but this lease was canceled and a new 40-year lease was signed with the Madison, Illinois and St. Louis Railway Company.

The bridge was completed on March 18, 1890 and opened in May of that same year (this certificate was issued just two short months later). In August of 1893, the Terminal Railroad Association of St. Louis reached agreement to use the bridge by guaranteeing by endorsement the payment of interest on the bridge company’s $2,000,000 in outstanding bonds.

We are currently offering the following pieces from the St. Louis Merchants Bridge Company:





All certificates are sold only as collectible pieces, as they are either canceled or obsolete. Certificates carry no value on any of today's financial indexes and no transfer of ownership is implied. Unless otherwise indicated, images are representative of the piece(s) you will receive.